Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Back to the daily drawings


Back to the daily drawings
Originally uploaded by Sheila Hudson.
I have been drawing (not as often) but I haven't been showing them because I've been frustrated. I'm trying to do illustrations for a story about a grandpa and his grandson and a fun day they had. It's not flowing and I'm not feeling as creative as I want to be. I'm not giving up but not happy with what I've come up with so far. This one didn't even get colored because the people don't look happy enough. Also, this is my first stab at creating characters and repeating the characters in different positions and expressions. I know the solution to my dilemma about how I should do this will come to me but it's not happening fast. Bah!



In the mean time, life continues to heat up- I mean summer is upon us and I'm sure it's up around the high nineties out there today. I really dislike hot weather but we had such a wonderful, cool spring and early summer that I don't dare complain. One swell thing about the heat is the way the crops around here smell as you drive by. There are potatoes (duh, this is Idaho), sugar beets, grain, corn and the best is peppermint and spearmint. I like the way the fields smell when they are being irrigated but especially the mints, it's super aroma therapy. I'm also very thankful for air conditioning in both car and home.



Today after my workout Tanner wanted me to play a game of pool with him so I took the time to do that. Heck it had been 20 years or more since I've tried to play pool and I felt like a fool but it was fun anyway. When we got home we were so hungry that we ate immediately and then I got all tired and decided to take a nap (that makes me feel like a slacker) So now it's 2:30 and I'm feeling behind. Oh well, it all waits doesn't it?



I'm cutting my time short here in cyber space so I can spend it in my kitchen doing the never-ending jobs that are always waiting there.

Cya

2 Comments:

Anonymous janey said...

I'm glad you posted this drawing without color. I love to see works in progress. It lets you in on the artist's process. I do hope you finish it.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Hi Sheila.
Your drawing is quite good however you are right about the expressions. You should try some gestural sketches of faces, (like in a "junky sketchbook") using photographs (family photos maybe of happy people laughing, unposed candid type pictures). This might help you loosen up. Or try a more dynamic perspective, like a view high up in the air of the grandson at the arch of the swing laughing with grandpa low on the ground ready for the swing to come down for the next push. (???)(Kind of like a view that a bird would have of the kid swinging up towards him??? hard to explain!) I feel silly offering you advice, because you are such a great illustrator, but maybe by showing the "action" of the sequence rather than just the subjects would help.
I think your style of drawing will be great for a picture book.

PS: I haven't posted to my own blog in a while... health issues with mom (she lives 185 miles away) plus work has been eating up a lot of my time. But I'm still checking in!!! ;c )

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogs Illustrated
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random
Web Counters
Discount Christmas Gifts